Friday 13 January 2012



Intentions statement

My linked production piece for my CI will be the movie promotions for a book that I am going to convert into a movie. The book that I have decided to change into a movie is called the Mistress of Rome. That tells the story of a slave girl who turns into a singer who catches the eye of the Emperor who is overly paranoid fearing assassination by everyone except his mistress, who turns out to be his downfall.  For this production I am going to have a range of movie posters and use different characters for the posters. It will be under the Warner Bros institution. As it is one of the major production companies that would be able to spend a lot on promotions and would have a huge budget for this film which I think would turn into a block buster like Sparta, which normally come from huge production companies.

I am going to conform to the codes and conventions of movie posters with the little details such as things like the institutions logo and titles. Normally when a book is converted into a movie the actors that are used hardly conform to what the characters in the book look like, instead for my linked production I am going to use people who naturally fit the images of the characters in the book. The book itself has quite a dark and dangerous tone to it, so for my posters I am also going to make the lighting quite dark and dim to allow it to look quite depressing and dangerous.

As the setting of the book is in Rome I am going to go round to places in London that have a roman feel, with places that have pillars that I can photo shop to look very roman and old. There is a little section in Somerset House that has pillars and looks Romanized, which I want to use as my setting. I am going to use two females that can act as the main characters and rivals in the novel one with blond hair and the other with black characters and two males with the same hair colours. I am going to dress them up so that they look like Romans, with circlets and robes and sandals.

Due to Warner Bros being a huge institution and the book itself having good sales revenues and all the attraction with films like Sparta and the Titans sales figures for this film should do quite well. Even though this narrative is less action and more scandalous the promotions and the sales revenues that other films get from being set in those time frames seem to be quite popular these days. 

As well as finding the setting I am going to need to use a very good camera to make sure the pictures come out clear and I am going to need to use photo shop to edit them and allow them to look real so that they look like they were done by professionals. 

1 comment:

  1. You don't need to worry about how well the film would do or anything like that... You're biggest obstacle is going to be locations/props and the professionalism of the whole setting.

    It 'sounds' like a great idea, you have to plan in detail and make sure that you think creatively about how to craft this!

    Big challenge.. but you can do it!

    ReplyDelete